A. In the first round of offers the student is offered the highest preference which they have listed on their CAO Application to which their points rating entitles them in the round of offers. Once they have been offered their highest choice, the student is excluded from further consideration for any course which is lower than the place offered.
The student may still be eligible for a course of higher preference if a place becomes available later on. You can make enquiries on www.cao.ie by using the ‘Contact Us’ facility. The CAO Handbook also gives examples of how the system of offers works.
What other options are available if a young person doesn’t receive their first choice?
Hopefully the young person will be offered their first course choice in the first round of CAO offers, but if not, there are a number of additional options available to him. These include:
- Offer of another course choice further down the CAO list
- Offer of a similar course at a lower level
- Offer of their preferred course choice in the second or subsequent rounds
- Offer of their preferred course choice on successful appeal of Leaving Cert Results
- Additional available places coming available through the CAO website
- Other options outside the CAO